So, in the 36 hours that Ive been back, Ive been trying to tackle computer problems that have been vexing me for awhile. Some Ive solved, some remain unsolved, and some are brand new (fun!) While I process pix from Mike & Heathers Post Nup (update later today), Ill talk about all these things. Skip this post if you dont want to read about computer shit.
- My laptop is fully fuckin dead. All the data is safe, but the motherboard is fracked. I havent called Gateway corporate yet, but Im pretty certain that theyll charge as much as a comparable laptop new to replace the thing. And I cant afford anything, much less a new laptop price right now.
- I installed Ubuntu on my eee yesterday. I was tired of the Xandros install
and how it required me to do everything slightly differently from the way its
done on Ubuntu. Everything works flawlessly as far as I can tell, and its
prettier. Even Compiz works, which I love. I got the specialized distro here,
created a bootable thumb drive (you need a spare 1GB drive) and the install
took no time.
- Ive just resolved a 24-hour FTP issue by having Time Warner Cable do line
tests and various arcane nonsense on my line. I havent been able to upload
anything through FTP, despite being able to connect fine. But I had to call
TWC to get them to do something, only then did restarting my modem have a positive
- I activated my Windows
Home Server finally and have set up automatic backups.
I havent actually RUN a backup yet, but tonight between 1am and 6am, my system
is going to be on it. its like a 70GB backup, so I dunno how itll go. The
media serving aspect has been great for in-home use, and I havent focused
on getting access from outside yet, so thats next. The web interface is
pretty slow, so Im going to try something else. But having nightly backup
(finally) is exciting, assuming that it works. I think Im also going to
add a couple of old 80BG laptop drives that I have lying around to the mix
just for the hell of it. External drive cases cost like $8, so next time
Im buying hardware for someone, Ill throw in some money to get a couple
- My right-hand monitor is acting shitty. It doesnt turn on when its been
off for a long time. Have I mentioned that I dont have the money to be throwing
at stupid computer problems right now? If I do replace it, Im thinking about
going bigger and getting like a 22" monitor for the middle of the pack. Well
- Im almost out of toner for my printer.
- My mouse has been acting up recently, doubleclicking on a lot of intended
single-clicks. Another thing Ill have to buy soon.
Okay, this is enough for now. Photos are processing and Ill update them later
in the day. Im going to try to stay off the phone for an hour so I can eat
and maybe get some "real" work done. Fun times, right?